Saints Wide Receiver Nick Toon Not Being Utilized
Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sport
Nick Toon was listed as a healthy scratch in the Saints’ 16-14 win over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers Sunday in favor of Robert Meachem and has hardly been seen so far this season. Why is this talented wide receiver being wasted?
As much as the Saints‘ signing of wide receiver Robert Meachem exactly two weeks ago confused and annoyed the hell out of me, I really can’t seem to wrap my brain around why Meachem was made active over Nick Toon this past Sunday.
TOON IS TOO GOOD TO BE WATCHING GAMES IN STREET CLOTHES
Toon was listed as a healthy scratch before for the Saints’ 16-14 win over theTampa Bay Buccaneers, which naturally begs the question: what the hell is going on?
He’s not dealing with any injury issues, nor did he show up even once on the weekly injury reports. I certainly don’t think it’s a talent issue, or lack thereof; Toon was impressive this preseason with his 9 catches 164, keeping pace with Kenny Stills. And he’s got to be a better receiving option than Meachem at this point in their respective careers.
So what gives? Here are a few possible scenarios I’ve come up with:
- Sean Payton was feeling nostalgic for the good ole days.
- Toon is being punished for something we’re unaware of.
- Meachem has naked photos of Sean Payton that he’s using to bribe the coach in exchange for playing time.
- Meachem’s particular skill set was better suited for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Payton is saving Toon for later in the season, once opposing teams begin focusing on Kenny Stills, Jimmy Graham and Marques Colston.
It could be any combination of those possible explanations. Or it might be something we haven’t even thought about. I’ll let you guys argue about that.
What I will say is that Toon needs to start seeing the field more because he’s too good to be watching games in street clothes. Considering the slow start this Saints offense is off to, now is as good a time as any.